Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Rear Pinon seal goes out while on the road

I was lucky to be near my friend Mark's house in Reno when I had problems.  Found oil under the rear axle in Las Vegas.  Added oil and made it to Reno, NV for repairs. 
We pulled the whole assembly in Mark's driveway.  I was thinking the worst.  Assuming there were a couple of bearings going out.  We had to use a floor jack to get the pinon nut off.  That sucker was really on there. 
After pulling everything apart I'm happy to report that everything looked great. 
It turns out the breather tube for the axle was plugged causing pressure to build up in the axle and blow out the pinon seal.  Good news in the end, but still a lot of work.  That darn carrier weighs about 70lbs.  Needless to say I was very happy to put it all back together with a new seal and go on my way. 


No comments: